Even though I don't really enjoy baseball, I had a lot of fun and I learned a lot about Boston culture. I was introduced to the Green Monster (the huge outfield wall).
And I got to learn about the rally cap (a tradition where you wear your baseball cap inside out in an attempt to help your team rally). Despite the best efforts of the fans, though, the Red Sox succumbed to the Seattle Mariners. :(However, it was a really beautiful evening, and it was nice just to sit outside. It had been raining for three days straight, but it cleared up just in time for the game. I enjoyed just sitting in the stadium and looking at the Boston skyline.
As a going away present, some friends of the family gave me a baseball cap that had been bought at Fenway stadium about 30 years ago, so I was able to bring the cap back to its home. The cap definitely made me feel like I fit in a little more and I kinda felt like I was bringing the cap full circle, which was fun.
By the way, I'm listening to NPR at the moment, and they just announced the results of the last Red Sox game as a part of the headlines. That's how big of a deal the Sox are here. It makes me smile. I love Boston!
No comments:
Post a Comment