In his book Sweet Liberty: Travels in Irish America, Joseph O'Connor wrote, "If you ever find yourself in downtown Boston and have an hour to kill, just stand by the side of the street and watch for a while. You will notice that there are thousands of old men with long white beards driving around the city's cruelly confusing one way system and weeping openly. Most of them left their homes to go and vote for President Kennedy in 1959 and have never found their way back again."
Given that I have spent the last day and a half trying to navigate the Boston roadways in a 10-foot truck, I feel as though I can relate to these anguished old men. However, despite the road hazards, I made it to Boston safe and sound.
I spent all day today unloading my moving van and trying to arrange my stuff into what I refer to as survival decorating. Basically, my bed and my desk are in place and there is a relatively unobstructed path to the door. I'm currently living in our guest room and trying not to trip over any boxes.
I had hoped to post some pictures of the house, but my memory card reader is currently refusing to work, so I'll save those for another post.
I haven't had the chance to venture out much yet, so I don't have any exciting tales to share yet, but I promise to try to do better in the future. I think that my boxes are about to stage a coupe to take over the kitchen, so I'd better go before they eat my roomie.
SAT 7/11 to WED 7/15: The Tall Ships in Boston
1 month ago
No comments:
Post a Comment