Monday, June 29, 2009

In Two Places at Once

Today, on the advice of Deb Holloway, my mother and I took a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich. It was so much fun!

One of the crew members gave us a really good guided tour, pointing out tons of interesting landmarks, including a set of luxury apartments where H.G. Wells and Oscar Wilde lived at one point in time. You can see the roof below.


While we were in Greenwich, my mom and I went to the Royal Observatory, the place that basically keeps time for the entire world. Every day at noon Greenwich time, a ball on top of the conservatory (pictured below) drops. It's kinda like a miniature New Year's celebration. Anyway, it was really fun. The Royal Observatory is also home to the Prime Meridian, the imaginary line that divides the world into the Eastern and Western hemispheres. Below is a picture of me standing in two hemispheres at once. Trust me, it was much more exciting than it sounds.


I promised my mom that I wouldn't go to any museums today, so after we finished at the Royal Observatory, we went to Southwark to get some really good gelato. Yummy! Then it was back to the hotel for packing and then a quick dinner at an Italian restaurant down the street. Back to the States tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment