Friday, June 26, 2009

Keep Mum!

I went to the Imperial War Museum today. I don't really like war museums that much, but this one was better than most. Outside of the museum they had an actual piece of the Berlin wall, which was one of the coolest parts of the museum. (I know a lot of people who would disagree with this statement, but weapons have never really fascinated me.)


My second favorite part of the museum were the parts that profiled life in Britain during the war, including displays on how the war affected children (several of whom were displaced) and the wartime propaganda posters. I kinda always thought of child displacement the way the it is portrayed in the Chronicles of Narnia, with the children being sent to live in big houses in the country. However, some of the living conditions were simply horrid! I couldn't believe some of the stories. They were awful, truly terrible.

It was also strange to see some of the displays of air raid shelters and the like and to be reminded that people actually lived in fear of their lives, always under the threat of another attack. I can't imagine always having to fear when and where the next raid will happen. I'm currently reading The End of the Affair by Graham Greene, which is set during WWII, and it really brought the air raid scenes home to me.

However, on a lighter note, the propaganda were fantastic! Below are two of my favorites:


After the war museum, I went to Southwark Cathedral.


It was pretty, but a little disappointing after Westminster Abbey and Canterbury Cathedral. It wasn't as large or as pretty or as historical as the other cathedrals and just didn't like the feel of the cathedral. They really nickeled and dimed their visitors and I just didn't feel as welcome here as I did at the other cathedrals. And all of their chandelers had energy-saving bulbs in them which, while commendable, definitely took away from their elegance.

After the cathedral, my mom and I went to Traflagar Square to get dinner and take a look at the Michael Jackson memorial that was going on there. There were disappointingly few people there, especially considering how quickly his concerts sold out.

Off to the War Cabinents tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment